As a whole, you might be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a) of this Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if your
- Have now been a permanent resident (Green Card owner) for at the very least three years
- Have now been staying in marital union aided by the U.S. that is same citizen during such time
- Meet all other eligibility needs under this area
In a few instances, partners of U.S. residents used abroad may be eligible for naturalization aside from their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under area 319(b) associated with INA.
For information associated with spouses of armed forces people, see our users of the Military and their loved ones web page. Additionally for information regarding being a permanent resident or petitioning for household members, please go to our Green Card or Family websites.
General Eligibility Needs
To qualify for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) associated with the INA, an applicant must:
- Be 18 or older
- Be a resident that is permanentGreen Card owner) for at the least 36 months instantly preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Have already been staying in marital union using the U.S. citizen partner, that has been a U.S. resident during most of such duration, throughout the 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing the applying or over until assessment regarding the application
- Have lived inside the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction within the applicant’s destination of residence, for at the very least three months before the date of filing the program
- Have constant residence in the usa as a lawful permanent resident for at minimum 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing the application form
- Reside continuously in the united states of america from the date of application for naturalization through to the right period of naturalization
- Be physically contained in the usa for at the very least eighteen months from the three years instantly preceding the date of filing the applying
- Manage to read, compose, and talk English and now have knowledge and a knowledge of U.S.